1. Ten years ago the population of our village was _____ that of theirs.
A. as twice large as B. twice as large as
C. twice as much as D. as twice much as
2. In the cinema, there was an old man _____ beside me.
A. sat B. sit C. sitting D. to sit
3. The multinational corporation is making a take-over _____ for a property company.
A. application B. bid C. proposal D. suggestion
4. —I’m surprised to hear that Sue and Paul have _____.
—So am I. They seemed very happy together when I last saw them.
A. broken up B. finished up C. divided up D. closed up
5. — Do you think you could do without help?
— _____. This is not the first time for me.
A. Take care B. Hurry up C. Not exactly D. Don’t worry
6. The affix “-able” in the word “touchable” is a (n) _____.
A. derivational infix B. derivational suffix C. inflectional infix D. inflectional suffix
7. Concerning pidgin and creole, which of the following is NOT true?
A. A pidgin is not a native language of a particular region.
B. Pidgins are rule-governed, like any human language.
C. Creole is essentially pidgin.
D. Pidgins are created to serve a wide range of communicative purposes.
8. [p], [t], [k] are _____.
A. fricatives B. affricates C. glides D. stops
9. Which of the following sentences is a two-place predicate?
A. It is snowing. B. The baby is sleeping.
C. John gave Mary a book. D. Jack loves Mary.
10. The structural view limits knowing a language to knowing its structural rules and vocabulary. The communicative or notional-functional view adds the need to know how to _____ the rules and vocabulary to do whatever it is one wants to do.
A. use B. analyze C. learn D. remember
11. If a teacher asks “What does corrective feedback mean”, this type of question is called “_____”.
A. referential question B. tag question
C. rhetorical question D. display question
12. A variety of games, role-plays, situations, etc. are _____ communicative activities prepared to support the Communicative Language Teaching.
A. text-based B. task-based C. game-based D. situation-based
13. What is the purpose of using information gap activity?
A. To prepare students for oral presentation.
B. To provide students with an enjoyable activity based on effective communicative approaches.
C. To ask students to listen and write.
D. To make enough input.
14. In _____, substitutional and transformational drills are frequently used and aimed at form accuracy.
A. cognitive processing B. communicative practice
C. meaning practice D. mechanical practice
15. In a conversation about how to spend a holiday, a student says, “I have plan to go traveling with my family.” Which of the teacher’s feedback will keep up communication as well as help the student correct his syntax error?
A. You should say you have planed to go traveling with your family.
B. Why not say you planned to go traveling with your family?
C. You say you haveplan to go traveling?
D. You should pay attention to the tense of the sentence.
16. Which of the following does a teacher want his / her students to develop if he / she guides them to take notes key words, abbreviations and symbols?
A. Cultural awareness. B. Language awareness.
C. Learning strategies. D. Language knowledge.